How many of us have complained about Belly Fat? I know I have.
Belly Fat is the fat around the abdomen. It is where fat accumulates the fastest and takes the longest to go, even when the rest of the body slims down.
What causes a big belly? There are many reasons for this. While the main ones include poor diet, lack of exercise, insufficient sleep, and increased stress, it could also be because of hormonal changes, age related reduced metabolism, or some illness. Regular physical activity, proper nutrition, and reduced stress are simple lifestyle changes that go a long way in reducing unwanted belly fat.
While there is no miracle solution to eliminating belly fat, this blog reveals some simple health tips that will help reduce fat around the abdomen. It also describes exercises I find most effective to tone the abdomen.
Maintain a healthy diet: Focus on a high protein diet. Avoid sugary and processed foods and carbs – especially refined carbs. Eat plenty of fibre. Reduce your alcohol intake. Take probiotics.
Belly Fat Fighting Foods: There are some foods that have been proven to be effective in reducing Belly Fat. I call them “Belly Fat Fighting Foods “. Some of them are: Oatmeal, Blueberries, Almonds, Salmon, cruciferous vegetables like Lettuce & Kale, Avocados, Yoghurt, Bananas, Green Tea, and citrus fruits & vegetables.
Reduce Stress: Stress has an impact on both your mental and physical fitness. Meditate, listen to music, spend time talking and laughing with your friends and loved ones, read a book, watch a movie or a TV show, exercise, and more. Count your Blessings every day.
Exercise: Focus on aerobic and cardio exercises like running, walking, cycling, and swimming, or go play a sport.
Sleep: The most important, yet most underrated factor is sleep. It has a deep impact on our eating habits, energy for exercise, stress, and mental health. Now what does sleep have to do with Belly Fat? Research has shown that people who sleep less than five hours a night gain more abdominal fat over a five year period versus those who averaged six hours a night.
It is also important to focus on toning your abdomen. I have included videos of exercises that help with this below. For most effective results, please combine these exercises with cardio exercises. For descriptions of each exercise, scroll to the bottom of the post.
Go grab that exercise mat and get started!
Exercises For beginners:
Advanced exercises to do in addition to the above ones:
Don’t forget to share your thoughts and go-to belly toning exercises below!
For more workout options, check out Keep Fit Workouts on my YouTube channel: #ziptofitness
Descriptions of exercises:
- Single Leg V Ups : Lie down flat on your back on the mat with your arms extended overhead. Engage your abs to crunch up. Lift your leg upright at the same time while your lower back is on the ground. Keep the body tight while lowering back down. Do this 30 seconds on 10 seconds off 5 reps.
- Russian Twists : A popular core exercise that improves both strength and definition. You can perform it with a medicine ball or without. You need to rotate your torso from side to side while holding a sit-up position with your feet off the ground. Do this 30 seconds on 10 seconds off 5 reps
- V sit hold : This exercise is again great for the core while also challenging your balance. In the beginners version you sit with your knees bent, and torso of the floor. In the advanced version, you sit with legs extended up, your body forming a V shape.
- Planks : This is a core strength exercise that involves maintaining a position similar to a push up for the maximum possible time. Do this 30 seconds on 10 seconds off, 5 reps.
- Plank with leg lifts : A variation of the plank exercise where you lift your legs up one by one. Do 30 seconds on and 10 seconds off, 5 reps.
- Flutter Kicks : This exercise targets your lower abdominal . Lie on your back and use your core to flutter your legs up and down. Very popular in Pilates and strength training. Do for 30 seconds on. 10 seconds off. 5 Reps.
- Bicycle Crunches : Lie flat on the floor. Press your lower back down to the ground. Put your hands behind your neck/head. Bring your knees in towards your chest and lift your shoulder blades off the ground. Be careful you don’t pull your neck. Do for 30 seconds on, 10 seconds off. 5 reps.
- Hip Bridge Hold : Lift your hips off the ground. Your knees, hips and shoulders to form a straight line. Squeeze those glutes and keep your abs drawn in. Hold for 30 seconds, 10 seconds off. 5 Reps.
- Leg Lifts: Lie down flat on your back on the mat. Lift your neck and shoulder up slightly. Lift your legs up slowly till they are vertically straight. Bring them down slowly , till just an inch above the mat (do not put your feet down). Do this 40 seconds on 10 seconds off for 5 reps
- Jack Knives: Lie on your back flat on the mat, with your arms extended overhead or near the neck. Keep your feet raised up slightly above the floor. The jackknife is completed by slowly bringing your straight arms towards your hips, and lifting your upper torso from the floor. Do 40 seconds on, 10 seconds off, 5 reps
- Reverse Plank: Press into your palms and lift your hips and torso toward the ceiling, point your toes, keep your arms and legs straight and form a straight line from your head to your heels. Squeeze your core and pull your belly button back toward your spine. Do 40 seconds on , 10 seconds off, 5 reps
- Knee Grab sit Ups : Lie on your back on the mat with your knees bent and feet flat on the floor. Crunch your ab muscles and come up, grab the knees , hold for a second and then go back down. Do this for 40 seconds on, 10 seconds off, 5 reps.
- Side plank : Start on your side with your feet together and one forearm directly below the shoulder. Contract your core and raise your hips until your body is in a straight line from head to the feet. Hold the position without letting your hips drop. Do this for 40 seconds on, 10 seconds off. 5 reps. Then repeat on the other side for 5 reps. or you can alternate and do a total of 10 reps.
- Side plank with hip lifts : Get into the pose as above, and then push your hips up. Again do 40 seconds on , 10 seconds off. 5 reps each side.
- Spiderman Plank : Get into a full plank position. Bring your left knee towards the left elbow, and then right knee towards the right elbow. Keep doing this 40 seconds on, 10 seconds off, 5 reps.
- Plank Jacks : Get into a full plank position., with your shoulders over your wrists , your body in one straight line. Like the motion of jumping jacks, jump your legs wide and then back together. do for 40 mins on, 10 seconds off, 5 reps. Great for cardio as well as the core.